When Apple announced its iOS 12 update earlier in June this year, it was a godsend to many. It promised many things, one of which was designed to make a user’s iPhone and iPad even faster and more responsive. This was a big deal, as it claimed to give older devices a performance boost (which was meant to redeem Apple from its controversial ‘slowing down older models’ issue last year.)
We recently updated the latest software onto our iPhones and iPads, and true to its word, we found that our apps launched twice as fast, the camera opened 70% faster, and the keyboard displayed 50% faster.
We can tell you that we’ve definitely noticed the difference – and then some.
Here’s our most notable additions:
- A virtual tape measure app: With just the tap of the screen, you can virtually take accurate readings of the width, length, and height of objects.
- Tools to combat smartphone addiction: The new update allows you to set time limits for individual apps. This feature even includes an activity summary that points out how you used your iPhone or iPad over a week.
- Grouped notifications: We begged, and Apple listened! Now we can enjoy grouped notifications by app, instead of piles and piles of alerts.
- Customisable animated avatars: Similar to Snap’s Bitmoji characters, Memojis are customised to look like you, but they also mimic your facial expressions and head movements.
You could say we’re super impressed with the new update and features. And that’s not all – here’s what else we observed with the iOS 12 update:
- You can FaceTime up to 32 participants at once
- It’s now easy to search for photos with multiple keyword search
- Apple Books (formerly iBooks) has an all-new design, making it easy for you to discover, read and listen to your favourite books
- Siri has become even more knowledgeable – Siri Shortcuts can help you get things done more quickly via personalised verbal shortcuts
- It’s now possible to monitor how much time your children spend on apps and websites
- You can dim your display and set your phone to Do Not Disturb overnight until you unlock your iPhone when you wake up
- Automatically create, autofill, and store strong passwords in iOS apps and Safari
- Three new language dictionaries have been added: an Arabic and English bilingual dictionary, a Hindi and English bilingual dictionary, and a Hebrew dictionary
- Follow the stock market on your iPhone? Now you can follow it on your iPad for the first time
And that’s everything you need to know about your refreshed iPhone software!
Need help downloading the iOS 12 update? Chat to the team at Reboot Computer Systems on 0401 092 197. We can assist you with how to update the latest iPhone, iPad and iPod software, as well as troubleshoot any issues you may have.